Work closely with the Chief Investment Officer and play an important role in managing the organization’s various investment portfolio as well as its relationship with broker institutions and the financial community. The Investment Department at Chesapeake Employers’ Insurance Company manages a total of $2+ billion general account invested assets through its internally and externally managed investment portfolios.
The Portfolio Manager is a key member of the investment management and operations team supporting the CIO in oversight of the investment program at Chesapeake Employers’ Insurance Company. This role, reporting directly to the CIO, collaborates and backs up other team members in a small and high-impact professional investment team.
The Portfolio Manager will work closely with other internal and external business partners with a focus on investment management, asset allocation, and operations, including but not limited to transaction management (trading, settlement, custody reconciliation), investment accounting and valuation, data integrity, management reporting, and risk management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Take ownership and initiative in all aspects of the investment management, trading and risk management process on assigned portfolios.
- Responsible for the day-to-day transaction, investment management and oversight of the assigned portfolios or operations per established investment policy statements (IPS’s) and procedures.
- Actively monitor market events, research, and trends. Analyze and interpret how they impact different sectors and asset classes from both return and risk perspectives. This includes understanding cross-market relationships and correlations and analyzing economic data, government policies, and world events.
- Provide analysis, trading and sector allocation recommendations of the portfolio and implement strategies and transactions as approved by the Chief Investment Officer.
- Prepare reports, including charts and graphs, to illustrate trends, future payoffs, and possible risks of various investment opportunities.
- Gather portfolio activity and market intelligence and share with other members of the investment department on a routine basis.
- Maintain spreadsheets detailing financial performance of all investment options.
- Initiate and develop policies, programs and procedures relating to the organization’s internally managed investment program.
- Maintain current knowledge on regulatory changes impacting insurance investment management activities.
- Assist the Chief Investment Officer in other aspects related to the department’s investment management success or perform other related duties as assigned.
SKILLS, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree is required, MBA, Master’s degree (M.A.) in Finance and/or other professional designations e.g. CFA, CAIA, CTP, CPA etc. is preferred.
- At least 8 years’ experience in investment management, securities analysis and portfolio management.
- Knowledgeable about investment management for insurance companies.
- Good understanding of portfolio construction, trading, risk measurement/management, and performance attribution techniques.
- Thorough knowledge in fixed-income, equity and alternative investment analytics, along with proven ability to translate investment research into actionable ideas for managed portfolio.
- Strong project management skills and ability to manage complex tasks and individual deliverables.
- Competency in MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint and working knowledge of Bloomberg and other relevant investment research systems.
- Customer Service
- Results Driven
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee may occasionally lift up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities are required which include, close vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Office Environment. The noise level is usually moderate.
Interested in joining the Chesapeake Employers family? Click the button below to get started.